View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2010
Arp Constable

Default The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...37_video&num=1

Quote:
In recent weeks and months there has been quite a bit of work towards improving the responsiveness of the Linux desktop with some very significant milestones building up recently and new patches continuing to come. This work is greatly improving the experience of the Linux desktop when the computer is withstanding a great deal of CPU load and memory strain. Fortunately, the exciting improvements are far from over. There is a new patch that has not yet been merged but has undergone a few revisions over the past several weeks and it is quite small -- just over 200 lines of code -- but it does wonders for the Linux desktop.

My lowly laptop has always suffered from problems when doing a large compile of any sort, often on FreeBSD, making Firefox 3.x unusable (but that's crap on FreeBSD anyway). I must admit, Linux has done better at surviving it but not by a big much in terms of interactive performance.

If this so called "Wonder" patch really does make such big improvements, I wonder when something comparable might make it's way into FreeBSD...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.