View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn8t View Post
How good is your PHP?
I can uncomment lines in PmWiki configuration files. Once I even added and edited few lines. No I don't know PHP.

Quote:
How much of the project do you intend or have time for implementing yourself?
I and all my colleges have a full time job/duties. This is basically meant to be done off hours which is perfectly doable if all people in the room are adults. However I am getting an impression that I am the only one living on the planet Earth when it comes to this project and everyone else is an Extraterrestrial.

Quote:
How much do you trust your own security practices? Are you looking for something already well hardened with a good history?

How complex of a CMS are you talking about?
Personally I think that a small/medium academic lab like hours should have a very simple website with possibly minimal CMS capabilities. If the lab was mine I would start by trying to modify PmWiki default installation to see if it can be used. I concure that PmWiki might be the wrong code base but it is simple enough to try.

In the mean time I evaluated Djanog-CMS, Plone, Drupal, Joomla besides few others that I was familiar from before.

I am 100% that whatever is selected should be minimal modified (colours possibly custom CSS) and deployed with well tested modules. Anybody who thinks we will develop our custom modules and code for exiting CMS which have couple hundred thousands lines of code should roll up his/her sleeves.

Since yesterday my personal front runner is Joomla. The only grouch I have with vanilla 4.3.1 is that I don't see I can use PostgreSQL with it. It is either a bug or PostgreSQL was only experimental feature added to 3.xxx release which was dropped in the mean time.

Last edited by Oko; 7th May 2015 at 11:38 PM.