View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
Arp Constable

Well, personally I don't give a darn as long as it is reliable and meets my needs but I tend to favor Intel by experience.

Over the course of my life, on computers I've had 7 Intel chips, 1 AMD chip, and 1 Motorola chip.

Intel 8088, Pentium I, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron D, AMD Sempron Mobile, and a Motorola 6809* chip.

I've also used other peoples machines with AMD Athlon XP and K6-3D chips without being very impressed.

I've mostly had Intel CPUs and I've never had bad things to say, if I was going to buy a new computer I would probably aim for an Intel chip in the E6600 or E6400 range along with a gig of ram.

I would love to try a good AMD box for a gaming machine though.

As far as AMD/Intel goes, given suitably similar hardware I would love to test compile times on AMD and Intels comparable mainstream chips.

Compile a FreeBSD kernel, Linux 2.6, FreeBSD (kernel+world), GCC4.x, and Qt4.x on each machine and note the time it takes from start to finish each one.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.