View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th March 2013
New User

Default Sorry, This Should Be in OpenBSD Forum

Thanks to both of you for your kind responses. This is my first post; hopefully I won't post in the wrong area again!

Beastie: From perusing the boot log, it appears to me that xdm is running, and that is what generates the login screen.

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace just recycles me back to the login screen again. Ctrl+Alt+F1 gives me TTY, but doesn't seem to shut X down. I log in as root, and type:

echo "/usr/local/bin/startxfce4" . ~/.xinitrc

and the system seems to "take it" without complaint. But if I then type

xinit

I get the same errors. If I log in via xdm as my standard user and type:

startxfce4 &

I get my xfce workspace, and by clicking on the top of the terminal window, it goes away. So that's what I'll do for the moment. Once I get this sorted out, I'll try a later version, and perhaps a different desktop. I chose this one from an article a couple of months ago in BSD Magazine that showed how to do this, and it was from 5.1. The necessary files are different for 5.2. The machine I'm using is specifically for this sort of experimentation, so there's no data at risk.

jggimi: If as root, I try to open leafpad to edit /etc/rc.conf.local, I get:

leafpad
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
leafpad: Cannot open display:

It appears to me that my X configuration is keeping me from fixing it? I'd appreciate any further direction that you can offer, and thanks again for your help!

Last edited by wmichaelb; 29th March 2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: clarification