View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Notes on Current

Thank you, jggimi:

Been burning a few of you LiveCD/DVDs this week. The KDE version won't boot (some "can't mount root msg"); but the XFCE / Fluxbox versions did, so guess it's some other issue (it's an old box). If you want the error msg, please let me know via pvtmsg - thanks.

On Firefox on LiveCD now. The facial expressions are better using text characters instead of the images - they do look a bit lame in practice.

Enough digressions from the subject thread. I read (instead of scanning) the "following current" page again - the PostreSQL entry was the FIRST one (earliest at top). A recent entry covered the new config(8) requirement for building the new Kernel - D'OH!! I KNEW something was amiss - LMAO.

Q1: So, you're saying that the most direct way to "install -current" is to install46.iso (and similar install media from primary/secondary mirrors from e.g.,ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/) - correct?

Q2: Reviewing the Install Guide, would choosing the (U)pgrade option from the -release install disk(s) accomplish the same thing?

Q-SIDEBAR: For the New User(since most Users are Developers, and all "dev work" is done on -current), would it be prudent to suggest (to the webmaster) that FAQ Chapter 5.1 (brief explanation of -release, stable, and -current/snapshot) be referenced in Chapt4.1-2 (text and/or link to snapshot), before the User burns his/her install media?

Thanks

Last edited by IronForge; 5th November 2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarify primary/secondary mirror and suggest direct link to snapshot