View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
...I wonder if there is not any relation with another message just received on a console..
Yes. This is produced by src/sys/dev/pci/drm/i915/intel_sprite.c, which also had the same change log entry (revision 1.8) on July 1, and this message was also included as part of the code in this revision.
Quote:
How to approach debugging?
It is not clear to me that there is a bug. These messages are produced when hardware is not behaving as expected.
  • To understand the root cause of these messages, on your own, you will need to read the source code to determine why these warnings are produced.
  • If you want assistance from the OpenBSD Project to understand why these messages are produced, and whether you should be concerned about them, you can submit an informal query to the Project's misc@ mailing list. At minimum, you must include your dmesg(8) so that your hardware environment and your specific kernel that is reporting the messages are made clear.
  • Formal problem reports are sent to the bugs@ mailing list, most often through the use of the sendbug(1) tool.
You can do the same sort of research I did. It isn't debugging, and all it takes is a cvs(1) working directory of the kernel source. Example:

$ find /usr/src/sys -type f -exec grep "Potential atomic update failure" {} +

$ cd /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/drm/i915
$ cvs log intel_sprite.c | less
$ cvs blame intel_sprite.c | less

Last edited by jggimi; 17th December 2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typos