View Single Post
Old 7th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
It's not flame-bait for the simple minded, it's distinguishing for mature users.
From your previous post, I gather that you use Mac OS X for non-Unix tasks and Unix-like operating systems for Unix tasks. OS X is a Unix-like operating system. The functionality is there, but Apple likes to concentrate more on developing GUIs for every task rather than doing it the traditional Unix way. Why does it matter? If the functionality is there, you can use it. Whether it's hidden or not, doesn't mean that it suddenly loses its identity. Honestly, I don't understand the "distinguishing". To me, it seems like a pathetic excuse for Unix-fanboyism, which in the case of OS X doesn't work. I agree with you that OS X does a lot of things differently, but to me it feels no different than any other Unix, maybe because of the way I have it setup. I use zsh, I have a terminal open with screen running at all times. I use mpd + ncmpc to listen to music. I have configured sshfs to mount my home directory on my Debian box on my Mac on startup. While most Mac users referred me to MacFusion, a GUI to do this, I went the simple way and wrote a shell script for Automator. My point is that, I don't see a reason to differentiate because I can do everything that I was doing on Linux or *BSD on OS X because the Unix functionality that I need is there.