View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosha View Post
yeah!
I didn't check when recoded the files, I just checked and, for example, a file went from 58.4 M to 322 M.
Note that (44.1/8) * 58.4 = 322 (approx.).

The idea that the file had originally been sampled at 44.1kHz and had a bad wav header identifying it as 8kHz never made sense to me because it didn't fit the originally described symptom. If such a file were played at the 8kHz instructed by a faulty wav header, then it would sound too slow (think: anti-chipmunk [apologies to David Seville] ) rather than too fast.

Quote:
I have quite a lot of files I would like to convert and be able to listen to anywhere.
How should I resample the files? I've read the man page of mplayer, but the relevant parts (option -af and resample) are a bit cryptic to me.
You could take a look at the sox package (the name stands for SOund eXchange). It is a very useful command-line utility that deals only with sound. I find the option syntax much less cryptic and faster to understand than mplayer. It can convert between audio files of different types, re-sample, play, record and many other things.

Last edited by IdOp; 2nd June 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling