View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st January 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
It depends on each state. As a PA resident, I've noticed our electricity bills went up after the final electric deregulations went into place. This appears to be the same thing that happened in Alberta and across Canada.
That's interesting to hear. I've worked for a company in this area and the business analysts, if I remember rightly, made it out like PA was the place where it actually worked out well. Only when California came along was it really apparent what a bad idea it may be, at least for residential customers. I guess working well here just means the price spikes weren't catastrophic, eh?

We nominally have it in MA, but last time I looked there are hardly any options for residences, only for businesses. It sounds to me like the only use is for businesses with the sophistication to want to weigh different kinds of hedging schemes (contracts for future usage of various lengths, etc.) but that's neither something we as residential customers likely want to take on nor do we have the options. Someone like Theo probably has the intellectual fortitude to work out a more stable price for himself over time with these approaches, but, what, he's probably just treated as a residential customer so has few choices in terms of how his contract gets priced.

Personally, I think the Canadian government should consider OpenBSD as part of Canada's heritage and send them some kind regular, predictable grant, maybe from NSERC, but I've been away too long to even vote there so what business is it of mine.