View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Your installation server needs to be configured to serve the TFTP protocol. Since the client upon booting doesn't know anything about where or what TFTP server it is to use, PXE requires the client to broadcast its request, & whatever server responds is the server used. This is the same model used by DHCP. If the server on the same subnet does not respond, it is a question of whether the intervening routers are configured to pass broadcast messages from one subnet to another. If you have control over all of the intervening routers, you may be able to separate the client(s) from the TFTP server, but if you are doing this over the Internet, remember that the protocol specifies that the "first server" responds to the request. If this isn't your server, this is a problem.

For more information, study Section 6.10 of the official FAQ, & the tftp(1), tftpd(8), pxeboot(8) manpages.

In addition, you will need to study the boot(8) manpage for information on boot.conf as this file will be required on the TFTP server as well.

You may also want to study Wikipedia's introductory article on PXE. A PDF of Intel's specification can be found at the bottom of the article.
Ok I will keep reading the man pages carefully to know the configurations of tftp and dhcpd.conf. The part that has me stomp and passing the right options for my LAN to find my DHCP remote server off site. Will keep battling this and post my working solution for other SA's.