View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2012
More noise than signal

I'll rephrase what I wrote above -- by "upstream", I meant Fabrice Ballard and the team of developers and maintainers at qemu.org. Kqemu is no longer offered as a program by them.

You are using Qemu 0.14.1. Please keep this in mind as you read these comments from Wikipedia regarding Kqemu. I have made highlights in red which I hope will help clarify this program's status for you:
Quote:
Accelerator

KQEMU was a Linux kernel module, also written by Fabrice Bellard, which notably sped up emulation of x86 or x86-64 guests on platforms with the same CPU architecture. This was accomplished by running user mode code (and optionally some kernel code) directly on the host computer's CPU, and by using processor and peripheral emulation only for kernel mode and real mode code.
Unlike KVM, for example, KQEMU could execute code from many guest OSes even if the host CPU did not support hardware virtualization.
KQEMU was initially a closed-source product available free of charge, but as of version 1.3.0pre10,[5] it was relicensed under the GNU General Public License.
QEMU versions starting with 0.12.0 (as of August 2009) support large memory which makes them incompatible with KQEMU.[6] Newer releases of QEMU have completely removed support for KQEMU.
QVM86 was a drop-in replacement for the then closed-source KQEMU, licensed under GNU GPLv2 license. The developers of QVM86 ceased development in January, 2007.