View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2009
Shell Scout

Default I think I just mangled my partition table

I'm trying to install FBSD 7.2 on my laptop, which at this moment now only boots XPPro. Dealing with a 250gb hd; which has only one important partition - 30gbs for Windows. Everything else can be safely wiped.
When I was installing, I went ahead and deleted the other partitions, and then set up for my FreeBSD partition. That gave me a setup resembling:
30gb - windows
40gb - fat (unformatted for moving files between windows and bsd)
120gb - freebsd
60gb - unallocated

I then proceeded to slice up the 120gb partition for installing FBSD. Installation seemed to go fine, until I rebooted to actually start the OS.

My system now takes a very long time to start the boot selection process. I loaded the FBSD bootloader into the MBR, which sees "Windows" "DOS" and "FreeBSD". Windows works fine in option 1, the second would attempt to boot an unallocated, unformatted partition (so I don't use it), the third is freebsd of course.

When I select FreeBSD the boot process starts normally until it gets to the point of trying to mount the volumes. It identifies the HD and the optical; but then it panics when it tries to mount. It asks me to specify a type and slice for mounting, and when I try the one I thought was / on the FBSD partition it panics and reboots.

Is it worthwhile to try to fix the partition tables in FBSD setup, or should I just reinstall?