View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2015
More noise than signal

The "snapshot packages" are really misnamed. They are built against -current, but it is almost always going to be a different -current than the -current used to build snapshots. This is because the -current branch is a constantly moving target, and different systems are used to build snapshots and these packages

They are provided as a convenience, only, with no guarantee that they will be in sync with any available snapshot. The project does not have the resources to do so.

Users of -current are expected to occasionally build ports themselves, in order to get around this synchronization issue, which occurs from time to time, in particular with major library "bumps".

I'd like the project to offer synchronized snapshots/packages. But they don't have the resources to do so.

I use i386, and had the opposite issue yesterday. The "snapshot package" collection for that architecture was built against libcrypto 32, but the snapshots available at that time had not yet been built against the new major library.