View Single Post
Old 8th January 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
The video comes through, but the sound doesn't. That video makes it and sound doesn't seem illogical to me, but it is the situation. I can't figure how or even if I can get the sound to make the journey?
I may be wrong, but I think I'm right.... so anyone feel free to correct me if it's the latter, rather then the former.

If you recall whatever you should have read about how the X Windows System works, you have an X Server that handles the display of X Clients on a given $DISPLAY. When my laptops keyboard went belly up, I tried virtually everything :\. One task was hooking up my laptop, and tunneling X over SSH to an X Server running on the Windows machine. Because the server was on the Windows machine, the Windows machine needs the graphics card - because all of the rendering is done on the boxen with the X Server running (or $DISPLAY, if you want to think of it that way, but that wouldn't be true). Likewise the programs are actually being executed from the remote host, where they are installed; in my case it was on the FreeBSD machine. I don't know the protocol very well (and am no Jamie Zawinski either!), but look at it this way:
  • X is about graphics for the most part.
  • Video requires rendering images on the users $DISPLAY by the X Server managing that $DISPLAY, and doing it at a suitable "frame rate".
  • Sound is an Operating System specific feature and has nothing to do with graphics.
  • If the machine doing the graphics rendering needs the graphics card, wouldn't it make sense if the machine doing the audio playback needed the sound card?

At least, that is as much as I can offer without more time to learn and cash for hardware. So the only way around it is a network mount of the files and running a program locally to play it, afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
2) Some mentioned on a site I was looking at that they update (I think he said with cron) a website every 30 minutes with the current IP address. How could I do that with a cron job (or something comparable) so that the IP address of the DSL modem will update a webpage so that I can know the address to ssh to no matter where I am?
That I can't really help with outside of taking a guess, that you mean go to website, get IP that has been updated via cron; then feed that into SSH (sounds like a job for scripting). On related notes, you might also like to take a look at something like: http://www.dyndns.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.