View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2008
Spam Deminer

Default What makes a perfect seasoned member?

I've been in a discussion with another member lately (whom shall remain nameless) about some of the replies given in many of the threads on this forum. It would appear that while we all wish newbies were 'perfect', there seems to be some problem with some of the more seasoned members (meaning the 'regulars' ) of this forum as well.

I'm not going to bash anyone outright, and I certainly don't mean any ill will to this forum or any particular members. But sometimes I find that there are those that are replying in threads with no actual real information or direction to contribute to the OP. It's almost like there are those types of replies that are just given to show that they are "in on the topic", whether relevant content is contributed or not.

To be sure, one thing discussed in my private conversation with the other member is that I would rather someone contribute erroneous information than completely useless non-information. At least with the 'wrong answer' there can be a correction (and normally there is.) With a 'non-answer', you just to have shrug your shoulders and move on... but it's a bit distracting and annoying, IMHO.

So I ask... what makes a perfect seasoned member of this forum? I ask this so that those of us that take pride in this forum can check ourselves with regards to our replies to newbies who are looking to us for good, real information to help them out. If we are going to expect something from the newbies, perhaps we should be expecting something from ourselves as well. Thoughts?