View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The developers coordinate their commits, to avoid conflicts and such.. as such a developer must get permission from other developers before something goes into the main tree.
Quite obvious that they coordinate their commits but how exactly? Do they just send patches via email or do they use some common test repo to pass these or something completely different?

Quote:
I'm certain that developers maintain their own private trees, either locally or somewhere private on the central server.
Ok, if they have separate trees, how they can be coordinated with the main source tree so that history is correct.

Quote:
The snapshots that are produced by the project include patches that haven't made it into the tree, often they use this avenue to test code in the wild before they consider it stable enough.. unfortunately not a whole lot of people test the snapshots, except for the developers and some dedicated users.
Isn't the code in snapshots already in the tree and will appear in the next release? The patches that need testing seem to be posted on the tech@ mailing list.
I'm running -current branch on my laptop and it functions just fine most of the time.

Quote:
OpenBSD has it's own CVS server and client project, OpenCVS, they popularized anonymous CVS access (..nobody did that before them).
Yes, I'm aware of this. Hopefully they get it released soon. I could give it a spin to see if it will be already usable. There seems to be a warning that bugs can cause data loss still but I don't have anything important to use with it anyway.

I'm more interrested in the actual use of CVS. Like actual use scenarios how others use CVS.
Probably best method would be to just start to use it on something and work my way from there.