View Single Post
Old 19th April 2013
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPugh View Post
I'm using FreeBSD 9.1 (PC-BSD 9.1)
Which one? There's actually a big difference when it comes to Xorg and KMS supports on the two systems.

PC-BSD may be based on FreeBSD, but third-party applications (such as Xorg) are built differently on the two.

The GENERIC FreeBSD kernel does include the drm2 and i915kms modules, but Makefiles for Xorg in the FreeBSD ports tree are by default not KMS-ready, for backward compatibility. Binary packages are built using the default settings of the ports tree and so are not KMS-ready either.
In both cases, the system will install an old version of the libGL and libdrm libraries and Intel video driver.
You must tell the system to build a new version with KMS enabled through make.conf. Once you do, it will grab the newest libGL, libdrm and xf86-video-intel, and when you run Xorg the system will load drm2 and i915kms instead of drm and i915.

On the other hand, the newly-created PC-BSD pkgng repository uses more "generous" Makefile settings compared to the FreeBSD tree and seems to have a KMS-enabled Xorg.
And PC-BSD itself has KMS enabled, AFAIK.