View Single Post
Old 15th April 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Completely agreed & if I recall the discussion correctly, the OpenBSD project pondered going to PCC before porting to GCC4, but did not because it wasn't deemed ready.

The moral of this story is if moving to PCC is important, test, test, test. The quicker PCC becomes robust, the sooner the *BSD family can move away from GNU. We, the community, can help move this process forward by focusing on PCC today.
I think this has less to do with pcc as such, and more to do with competition to GCC in general.
If people stop using gcc because there is a better alternative, then that will be a good incentive for the gcc people to make their compiler a better one.

AFAIK right now gcc is pretty much the only viable option. There's the intel compiler, but that's not even open source.
There's also TenDRA which has been around for quite some time, but that project seems to be inactive for a number of years. I remember there were some efforts to use TenDRA for FreeBSD back in the 3.x or 4.x days.

Now there are two viable actively developed project, llvm/clang and pcc...