View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2008
New User

Default Help needed with installing usable GUI

So a little preface. I was a windows user, then swapped to linux (Red Hate 9, then Suse, Then Ubuntu), and the latest endeavor was Mac. I like my mac but I wanted two computers to use at all times (one for the wife and one for me).

I would really like to move away from linux, so I chose to try out freebsd. I tried installing, the first time it didn't work. So I tried PC-Bsd, but I didn't like it. So here I am again trying to get a dual boot system with Xubuntu and FreeBsd.

I downloaded and burned the install discs, and followed the setup instructions in the install guide. After the install was complete, I rebooted and first thing noticed was that ubuntu was not an option to select in the boot manager.

Then got the command line log in. I thought no prob i'll just startx and be good to go. X started all right into this horrible looking graphical interface from hell. TWM I believe it is called. Okay search the internet. Google pops up with startkde. No go. Can't access the monitor or screen or something.

Another google search turns up this .xintric file that supposedly exists in my home directory. Ls -a turns up no .xintric.

I can't start any usable graphical environment. Please help me. Teach me the unix-fu that you all have. I will be utterly grateful to any willing soul able to get me into the world of freebsd.

Sincerely,
Wesley