View Single Post
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Ok, I already removed OpenSolaris from my system ... So too late I guess ... Maybe I'll try again in a year orso...
Its never too late, but the later you try it, the better it will be

Quote:
Meanwhile I decided to install Debian ... Not sure why, seemed like fun ... Well, it turned out to be just as much fun as getting gangraped by a group of male Klingons.

The end result was three wasted hours, a lot a frustration, and a shattered Debian CD ... I didn't even manage to actually boot the OS.
You should try ArchLinux if you want Linux, or Draco Linux.

Quote:
Why-o-why is it that:
o I can not configure grub or lilo from the debian CD WITHOUT installing the OS itself?
o The debian installer reports vague errors but then continues like nothing happened?
o Linux can't just boot like any other OS ... But HAS to use grub or lilo?
o The linux kernel panics when it can't figure out the root FS (Instead of asking the user).
Welcome to the Lnux world, paraphrasing the Matrix quote: Linux, only kernel.

Once upon a time (199x) BSD was on the strait road for the primary open source alternative, a great one, but then Linux shit happen (thanks torvalds :/ ), this reminds me the history of AMIGA, not Commodore AMIGA, AMIGA, check Ars TEchnica for the whole history: http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...iga-part-1.ars (there are 7 parts, make a coffee).

Quote:
Today I am reminded again why I don't use Linux, and even more so why debian is the most retarded Linux distribution of them all ...
I use Debian at work, generally works, but I also do not consider it a bet choice. There is one thing though, in Debian installer that I like, continue installation using ssh mode. I will not mention here that you have to first type expert at cd loader, because without that you will not be able to choose taht option (fuck like a tought quest in Fallout ...), then load cd components, then at last continue ...

But I like that feature, its very usefull, when you want give the choice of the installation to thebuddy that is miles from you, or just go back to your workstation and continue.

But I do not see any other innovation in Debian generally.

I also hate their www server defautl configs. In FreeBSD we have ONE nginx.conf or httpd.conf simple, but in debian we have a whole bunch of files links dirs and so, sites-enabled, sites-disabled, modules-enabled, modules-to-consider, just great ...

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd