View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2012
More noise than signal

Thumbs up

There's more about your situation we don't know than we do, due to your strong reluctance to share information. You want to keep the details hidden, including going to the effort of redacting your Ethernet MAC address from what little info you elected to share.

RT2573 is the NIC, RT2528 is the radio. You could deduce this by reading the rum(4) man page:
Code:
     The RT2501USB chipset is the second generation of 802.11a/b/g adapters
     from Ralink.  It consists of two integrated chips, an RT2571W MAC/BBP and
     an RT2528 or RT5226 radio transceiver.

The RT2601USB chipset consists of two integrated chips, an RT2671 MAC/BBP
     and an RT2527 or RT5225 radio transceiver.  This chipset uses the MIMO
     (multiple-input multiple-output) technology with multiple antennas to
     extend the operating range of the adapter and to achieve higher
     throughput.
And further down, your NIC requires firmware. That firmware hasn't changed since 2006:
Code:
FILES
     The following firmware file is loaded when an interface is brought up:

/etc/firmware/rum-rt2573
Since 5.0-release, there have been no changes to sys/dev/microcode/rum, which manages the rt2573.

----

I've done all I can with what little I've been able to pry out of you. If you want further review of this problem, you're going to have to divulge more about the problem and your configuration than you've been willing to.

Some examples of information that may help:
  • An actual dmesg. You can continue to redact MAC addresses, though there's little value in hiding those. The dmesg shows much more than your NIC, it shows the architecture of your machine, what kernel you are running (and by who, where, and when it was built) and your complete hardware configuration from your mainbus outward.
  • The outputs from netstat -in and netstat -ss while the problem is ongoing. One will show errors, the other, statistics.
  • The output of ifconfig -A. You should redact any publicly facing IP addresses, encryption keys, SSID names, or anything else personal or confidential.
  • A copy of your hostname.rum0 file, again redacting confidential information such as keys.
There's no guarantee I or anyone else can assist with debugging this, but without anything else, we certainly can't.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th January 2012 at 12:03 AM.