Thread: latex
View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Hello

What is the proper way of installing latex? I installed it via print/latex port, but now it comlies about latex pacakges in my latex source file when I'm running it!

It seems that new istallation have deleted all latex packages. I'm depressed!
Proper way of installing LaTeX/TeX on FreeBSD is to use teTeX meta port which will pull all necessary packages. TeTeX used to be standard Unix LaTeX/TeX distribution which is unfortunately dead since early 2005. The current standard LaTeX/TeX distribution for Unix is TeXLive which is not available for FreeBSD. If you just need basic to intermediate stuff teTeX might be sufficient. If you are advanced user you do not want to waist your time with teTeX.

As the name suggests TeXLive is a live DVD and thus probably the best way to use it on FreeBSD is as live DVD. It comes with the installation script but hand installing anything is just opening can of warms as FreeBSD packages are designed around teTeX. Your millage may vary but I would not install TeXLive on FreeBSD machines in production as it is going to brake the system sooner or latter.

The easiest solution is to use OpenBSD. You will get all of TeXLive simply by typing

Code:
pkg_add texlive_texmf-full-2007p1
if your PKG_PATH variable is properly set up.

On net NetBSD you can install OpenBSD version of TeXLive using pkgsrc.
The same goes on DragonFly of course.

You have probably used old LaTeX port which is obsolete for 10 years. I have no clue why FreeBSD
committers keep those ports in the port tree (I think I could easily find 1000-2000 of them) as the older versions of FreeBSD are not officially supported. The officially supported versions of FreeBSD are only 6.4 and 7.1 so I see no purpose of keeping outdated software.

Last edited by Oko; 17th December 2008 at 05:21 PM.