View Single Post
Old 26th June 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Root cause: motherboard.
Interesting, thanks. This might be the case here too, and adds to my resolve not to put any significant money into a new PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera
i think the capacitors in a PS can potentially carry a deadly charge even after the PS is disconnected. it needs to be discharged before its safe to work on the PS. be careful!
You're certainly right about that, and I appreciate the concern! I did try to be careful, but evenso it's easy to slip up which makes this sort of thing not a really great idea. Fortunately no more plans to work on it as it seems a lost cause.

I should add, when I started this thread I knew working inside a PS was potentially dangerous, and I didn't want it to turn into some kind of tacit recommendation that people should do it. OTOH with all these new power saving features I wasn't sure exactly why a fan might be off, so I asked about it possibly being due to configuration. As the discussion evolved with everyone's kind help, well, it kind of went into the dangerous use of screwdrivers. So I'm glad people have brought up the dangers so future readers will have warnings about that. Either that or maybe the whole thread should be deleted, I wouldn't mind if moderators want to do that.