View Single Post
Old 29th June 2008
Too dumb for a smartphone

I recently adopted a to-be-discarded PC of similar modest proportions: 200MHz pentium with 32MB ram. (Though it's not the issue here, I put Linux on it as that was the most convenient for me.) Things were going pretty good until I fired up Seamonkey. It took 2 minutes to load, worse than my worst fears; even worse than the old days running Mozilla on an i386/25MHz/8MB. So my first comment is be glad of the 64 MB, it could be a lot worse! It would be interesting if you find you can scrape by with a fat browser on 64.

So, I temporarily gave up on the adopted machine, until reading another thread on this forum about favourite browsers. It prompted me to have another look at links. This seems to be a reasonably workable alternative for my low-ram machine. It's lean and has some graphic capabilities, and does a bang-up job on the frame-buffer console. It may not satisfy all your browsing needs, but could be a piece of the puzzle. My modest BSD experience hasn't gotten into console frame buffers yet, but IIRC NetBSD and FreeBSD support it? If that's wrong hopefully somebody will correct or elaborate on this.