View Single Post
Old 9th August 2008
Spam Deminer

I've been using computers since I was three years old back in 1993. It's the only memory I have from that time period; I was sitting in front of our computer with a clock speed of 66 MHz, which was very high-end at that time playing some educational game. My interest in computers developed from watching my dad who has been using them, since the '70s. Anyway, I started getting extremely frustrated with Windows in the early 2000s. Windows 98 had that nasty shutdown bug, Windows ME was a bug, and Windows XP killed four hard drives in a row on the same computer. By this time, my old Dell Dimension with an Intel Celery 800 MHz was dying. In 2003, I started using Mandrake Linux. Two days later, I kicked Windows off the PC and delved into the process known as "distro jumping". Eventually, I ended up using Gentoo for three years (three years too long). The only reason I even stuck with Linux and didn't touch other Unixes was because a lot of Linux did and still have the impression that BSD and SysV-based Unixes are too arcane in comparison to Linux. I just let the stereotype get to me, but eventually I tried Solaris and found those claims to be untrue. In March, 2008, I just got fed up with the recurring cycle of breakage on Gentoo and moved over to FreeBSD. I had used FreeBSD on and off with Linux since version 5.3. I also bought a MacBook Pro for college in May after researching Mac OS X thoroughly and being happy with the BSD roots.

That's part of my journey through computers. When I started using Linux, I became interested in shell scripting, so I learned Bash scripting. I still have two scripts to right, but I just don't have the time. I also took a Java-based AP Computer Science class at my high school last year. I'm teaching myself C and hope to move onto C++, once that's done. I'm pretty acquainted with Perl and have to reacquaint myself with Awk when I get a chance. I never needed those two heavily.

Last edited by ninjatux; 9th August 2008 at 09:26 PM.