View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st December 2009
Arp Constable

Default Browser Security

I finally feel comfortable setting up and running a current OpenBSD system and as part of a New Years resolution have been trying to increase the security of my home network. I have one computer on a NIC and I just finished changing the rest from WEP -> WPA2. The one on the NIC is running Arch linux.

I'm predominately a desktop user and the things that concern me the most are online banking and online purchases with credit cards. These tasks are browser based and my bank web site will not work with lynx. I delete all web cookies after purchases and banking. I maintain a simple web site for our local EAA chapter and may take advantage of the email server our web host has

I am thinking about putting an OpenBSD current system on the NIC cable. My choice of current is based on the availability of newer browser versions with security updates. With that background onto the questions:

1) Is it worth the migrating the OpenBSD system to the NIC ie. do I gain anything over Arch Linux and if so what? How important is the gain?
2) What are the chances that current will break irrevocably if I "pkg_add -F update -u" periodically? I'm willing to back up my home directory before updates. How often do current users have to rebuild xenocara, kernel and userland?

Thanks in advance for your input