View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
This should work: # ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
Thanks, Vermaden. I'll try this command when I get home.

To Nilsgecko and Sharris:
PC-BSD is far from perfect, but my collective experience with it has been good. When I first installed it, my experience with BSD was minimal, but PC-BSD allowed me to get a BSD system up and running quickly, and it took most of the guesswork out of instillation. With a system that has a lot of mixed components (like mine), that can be a very big deal. Once the system was running, I was then able to examine the FreeBSD system at my own pace, and customize it as I choose. One of FreeBSD's biggest selling points is the ability to extensively customize it. In PC-BSD, you can still do that, but I suspect it takes a little longer because you have to bypass the added value stuff before you can access the guts of the system. But once you're there, FreeBSD's array of options are easily available. Furthermore, should you ever need to use some of the fancy-schmancy tools that come with PC-BSD, like the PBI framework, they are still available when you need them. It's a real win/win.

My own system started out as a shake-the-box PC-BSD 8.2 system, complete with KDE 4.2.1. (Yuch!) Now, it's running all kinds of software from the ports tree, and I generally use one of the "classic" x-window managers, Window Maker. This fuse business is just the latest alteration I've attempted. If someone from the PC-BSD team were to look at my system, they may not recognize it as running their product.

If the aim of PC-BSD is to get more people to try and use FreeBSD, then I think it's working. It worked on me.

I like my little red daemon.