Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2013
Marveled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuvoos View Post
People who use Windows use it because err, that's the program you use when you use a computer, right?
Personally, I use Windows only when I want to play.
Cause Windows is still the best OS for computer games (except for old DOS games, DosBox is a good alternative).

Regularly, my wife and I play Populous on our LAN, and Windows is magic for that : a mac with Windows 7, a laptop with Windows 98, and Populous runs perfectly on both.
That's the real strength of Windows : the ability to run both recent and really old applications without any modification.

Quote:
People who use OSX might have a bit more reason, like working in a graphical sector or being "fashionista's".
No, it's just because OS X is better than Windows.
Since there is no native poker client for OpenBSD, I prefer to use OS X when I want to play in a poker room

Also, I bought a mac 5 years before trying OpenBSD.
So, my PostgreSQL server is installed on OS X, working fine, and it's quite good, I don't intend to transfer it on OpenBSD for the moment.

Quote:
most of us here having a very valid reason why to use UNIX *BSD.
So, as you can see, it's quite the opposite for me : sometimes, I have some valid reason to use something else than OpenBSD

Edit : Oh, and technically, the mac mini is a 85W machine, and the OpenBSD Sun Blade is a 475W machine, so most of the time, I use OS X with a OBSD VM...

Last edited by LeFrettchen; 20th October 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: precision on the electricity bill...