Thread: Wine OpenBSD
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Administrator

As clarification:
  • I am not an official Project developer associated with the OpenBSD Project. I am a user just like everyone else on this site (although a few Project developers do lurk here from time to time...).
  • Any contradiction seen in my diatribes found in responses #7 & #8 of this thread is overlooking the fact that in one I am espousing how I deal with my own personal equipment in comparison to explaining the Project's mindset in the other. The two aren't the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
IMO, having a working WINE can contribute to smoothing out the OBSD Learning Curve for Developers, SysAdmins, and Desktop Users.
This may very well be, but easing the learning curve for the masses isn't a paramount priority of the Project. What appears to be acutely important to the Project developers is adherence & support of fundamental standards & protocols. Interoperability is important only so far as it relates to the above issues (which is also seen in the "free, functional, & secure" mantra...).

Until a Project developer champions a cause (ie. WINE compatibility), users like you or I have no say in the direction taken by the developers. This may be seen as a serious flaw, or as remaining unfettered from commercial pressures. Either way, it is as it is -- a project run by engineers who enjoy enhancing a 30-year-old code base remaining mindful of its own goals.

Lastly, if there is anything that has born itself time & again from reading the official misc@ mailing list for several years: one will only be wasting time when attempting to steer or persuade the project to be something it is not. If OpenBSD does not meet people's needs, there are other alternatives & the Project developers are well aware of this fact.