View Single Post
Old 19th January 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennky View Post
...I can not believe that is my version in ports firefox 3.11 and not 3.17...
The FAQ says:
Quote:
15.4.2 - The latest version of my Top-Favorite-Software is not available!
If you are using a release or stable version of OpenBSD, you will not find any package updates until the next release, or until security issues occur which justify an update of the port in the -stable branch, and of the corresponding package.
4.6-Release was built in early July, and heavily tested before its publication and release 18 October, two weeks ahead of schedule. Firefox 3.5, added to the tree 30 June, and Firefox 3.0.11, added to the tree June 11, are the -release and -stable versions of Firefox for OpenBSD.
Quote:
. I know that the latest versions can be used only in current 3.5.7 but the 3.17 is old version and patched http://www.mozilla.org/security/know...firefox30.html. Do i maybe did not pretty well update ports? Are in your ports version 3.11 or 3.17?
Newer releases of Firefox have not been deemed worthy of inclusion in -stable by the port maintainers.

As a -stable user, you should be using 3.11 or 3.5. If this is unacceptable, you have four choices:
  1. Build your own port of a newer Firefox. Realize that if you do so, you are running unsupported. That means, on your own. There is no guarantee you will be able to get a port working, and to be honest, no users here will be very interested in helping you. Reread 15.4.1 and 15.4.2 several times, and if you insist, read all of FAQ 5 and FAQ 15. Carefully. Based on the questions you have posted to this forum, I think it might take you many months of trial and error.
  2. Run -current. As Ocicat has mentioned, you likely do not have the skills to do this. Yes, you could install a snapshot, but it is the management of ports and packages that may not be in sync with the snapshot that will probably be beyond your skills to manage.
  3. Post an extremely polite request to the ports@ mailing list, asking that a -stable port/package of a newer Firefox be developed for you. This is unlikely to work, but you could try.
  4. Use a different OS.