View Single Post
Old 10th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

To say that about a Corey post is somewhat redundant.
In answer to Robbak, yes, that is my biggest complaint. When my job change brought me back to Linux, I was in shock for a few weeks. I would see a program I didn't get, type man <program_name> and find there was no man page. In /usr/share/doc there would be a one or two line non-explanation.

Mostly it's with Gnu programs.

I remember viewing a bug report on the fact that with RHEL 5, they moved the default named.conf and didn't tell anyone. The bug report said that's fine, but why not a one or two line README.REDHAT in /usr/share/doc/bind.

The developer's answer was, well, you just documented here. (I should add that their bugzilla is, errm, buggy--searches often don't work, plus, the database is so huge that the site is extremely slow.)

Conversely, they did another violation of POLA with their Rawhide, the equivalent of CURRENT. I posted on the mailing list that a line or two in the affected file would save a lot of people a lot of time, and within a few hours, the person working on that particular program had committed the change. (He also answered me on the list, agreeing.)

Linux man pages used to make me think I was stupid till I got to the BSDs and realized that no, it was that many man pages are very poorly written.

I saw a thread on a mailing list the other day that struck me as very typical. Someone asked for a tutorial, someone else suggested the site's home page. The OP wrote back that he had looked there, but found it obscure, for example, he didn't understand X Y and Z. The reply was that he should look at the intended audience of the tutorial and it was his fault for not reading enough in advance.

Rather than add a line or two or three to the tutorial, blame the reader. It strikes me, sometimes, as being like the Emperor's New Clothes. For those unfamiliar with the child's tale, a swindler convinces the emperor that only the pure of heart can see the marvelous suit he is being given. In a parade, everyone feels it's because they aren't pure, so no one mentions that he's in his underwear.

Finally, a child says, the emperor's in his underwear. I think Linux man pages are often like that--say it's badly done and you're jumped on for not knowing enough.
To repeat, I fell for this till I began reading BSD man pages.