View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st March 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Here we are dealing with multiple separate problems. Getting your printer is relatively easy using in stack LPD and foomatic-rip which unfortunately no longer has support for LPD so you will have to play trick with it. . Please look for my post "OpenBSD to remain CUPS free". foomatic-filters are now of cups-filters package (might be different on pkgsrc comparing to OpenBSD). Secondary issue is if you want to get scanner working. I am not sure on NetBSD but on OpenBSD used to be that you would have to disable ulpt driver so that all-in-one gets connected via ugen driver. I am not sure that this is any longer needed at least on OpenBSD since two weeks ago somebody gave me Epson WorkForce846 all-in-one and I no longer needed to disable ulpt driver. Both ulpt, and ugen got attached to the all-in-one and after adding

usb 0x04b8 0x0892

line to epson2.conf I got scanner working. Unfortunately WorkForce 845 is paper-weight unless you are using Linux driver which contains hidden proprietary bloob.

Back to your HP. Your all-in-one should not have any problem being fully functional. Ah I almost forgot. The last thing is enabling FAX machine. I have not had a land line at home for over 8 years now so I forgot how it worked but I remember that I used to be able to send and receive faxes from HP devices. HPLIP proprietary frontend indeed requires CUPS as pointed out by jggimi.

Last edited by Oko; 3rd March 2016 at 09:22 PM.