View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I don't have an answer, but from what I gather from https://github.com/iocage/iocage/com...313c5df5865183 rather than iocage being dead
Hi Scottro,

I don't want to get into too much discussion about iocage future. It is going to be rewritten in Go. My understanding is that original author has being contracted by iXsystems to rewrite the tool. The old version 1.7.4 written in shell can be forked and maintained. Original author was very helpful when I had questions about the tool. I understand his logic completely. Long term he made the right decision as he was hitting the limits of what can be done in shell. I understand iXsystems position as well.
Unfortunately as I told him in a private e-mail I just many other people who came to depend on iocage have no luxury of waiting 2 years for his new code to stabilize before I can use so from my prospective iocage is dead. He also understand my logic. I am not the only one who thinks that way and there are several people who cut the losses and already moved on. I am for now sticking with the shell version. If I was not so vested into ZFS and Jails I would probably stay away as far as possible.