View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydd85 View Post
2. ifconfig to find my adapter which was re0
This is a wired adapter, not WiFi. See the re(4) man page for details.
Quote:
Here is my laptop specs: Toshiba Satellite A665, Intel I5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 802.11 a/b/g/n 10/100
OpenBSD 5.4 AMD64iso installation
This isn't sufficient information for us. Primarily because there are many possible WiFi adapters available to vendors like Toshiba and they post specifications without mentioning what component suppliers they use.

On BSD systems, network interface connector ("NIC") drivers are managed by chipset, not by generic "eth" numbers. Your re(4) driver supports a variety of Realtek chipsets and their clones, and a short list of the major vendors of NICs that use those chipsets is listed in the man page. Vendors of NICs, not of workstations.

You have two choices, from what you have provided so far:
  1. Use the wired NIC with a wired Ethernet.
  2. Look for the WiFi NIC in either your ifconfig(8) output or in your dmesg(8). More below.
The OS kernel must first recognize the WiFi device. If the device is a standard PCI or USB device it should be recognized during device discovery, even if there is no driver available for it. This output will be in your dmesg(8), a critical list of configuration information that you can post here for further assistance.

If the device is found and there is a driver available for it, the assigned driver will be listed in the dmesg. If ther is no driver available, the device will be described in the dmesg as not configured, which is BSD kernel speak for "I recognize this, but I can't do anything with it."

An ifconfig command with no options will list all drivers assigned to physical NICs, as well as several drivers for pseudo devices, such as loopback. You can research what each driver does with the man(1) command ... just remove the device number from the driver when using the command. such as:

$ man lo

to learn about the loopback driver for device lo0.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th March 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos, highlighting dmesg