View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th November 2017
parrot

Well, I ran OpenBsd for almost 2 years on a virtual box VM , before I decided to install it
on the HD , and had no issues. The guest additions is a non issue, when I needed to access
files on the host system I just used/use ssh, and scp or sftp to connect to the host.
Lately I am using QUEMO for my VM's it does not use any "guest additions", I don't think
they are really necessary.
Quote:
Can someone please tell me what happened.
Not without any logs or anything, is there any other details you are not telling us, IE; did you shut the computer off before OpenBsd completely booted ?, or while it was running ?, it kind of sounds like something that could happen when the system is not properly shut down.
We get a lot of unexpected power failures here, and when that happens, sometimes I need to run 'fsck' when I boot, but it has never caused any thing that was not repairable.

For what it is worth, I do not think using Ubuntu as a host is a very good idea. If I had a problem with OpenBsd not booting any more, and could not find a solution I would try re-installing OpenBsd, or have used my backup to restore the system.
I have do not usually have any problem with OpenBsd detecting devices when connected , even after it was booted and running. However, I have a couple of portable USB drives that
it is better to have them connected before booting, in any event , if and when it does not
detect a device that gets connected while it is running, and I reboot, never have had the kind of failure you mention, and usually it detects the device when it boots.