View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2008
New User

Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
It appears you made a copy of GENERIC without changing anything. You need to open the file P200MMX in your favorite editor, and change the "ident" line to whatever you want your kernel to identify itself as. [/CODE]
I've done exactly what you describe above. I did copy GENERIC to P200MMX, and then edited a lot in P200MMX. (I also changed the ident line to P200MMX, and finally I didn't forget to save the file P200MMX.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
I suspect that if you type "uname -a", you'll see generic, but you'll also see towards the end something like:

Code:
root@your hostname:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/P200MMX
uname -a shows:

Code:
root@<my hostname here>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
At the moment I'm unable to show you the kernel configuration file, because I don't know yet how to transfer it to my Win PC, which I'm using now. However I used the directions in 8.5 The Configuration File only. (I used conservative settings intended for a simple workstation, not a server or anything fancy). As said, there were no error warnings during the whole process.

(I don't know whether it is of any importance, but I just noticed that I forgot to add the "machine i386" line to P200MMX. It wasn't in GENERIC either though.)

Thanks again for your suggestions.