View Single Post
Old 11th November 2016
Arp Constable

It took the better part of the day but I'm up and running. The Netis DL4201 was a mixed bag. It provisioned OK with PPPoE but when I went to add the router I had difficulties with the router's DHCP setting provided by the modem. It was not getting a gateway.

It was much easier to set the modem using the bridge instructions and provision PPPoE at the level of the router.

I set the devices in each segment with MTU of 1492 but did not test to see if the MTU setting made a difference. I'm seeing the best upload/download speeds I've had since I started the service with a cisco 678 modem.

The Netis is also running cool with a 5V/800milliamp transformer. The documentation is dumd'd down and the configuration interface is buggy - I would get a javascript message that the code was corrupted when attempting to change the modem's IP 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.0.1. Still with modem rental fees of $5/month, if it lasts more than 6 months it will pay for itself. Buying a modem from my ISP is a minimum of $90 and the word on the street is that most do not last more than 2 years.

Last edited by shep; 11th November 2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation