View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th March 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

First, let me say that at one time, everyone was a beginner with this stuff. Everyone. There is no shame in it, and it's perfectly reasonable to not understand something the first or even the thirtieth time you read it. Everyone learns at a different pace, and, everyone learns in different ways.

Second, I wish to reinforce a recommendation from ocicat. Acquire a copy of Absolute OpenBSD. The 1st edition was my go-to bible for many years, and is well worn and still precious to me. The 2nd edition sits proudly on the shelf next to the 1st. Michael's writing style is accessible, understandable, clear, and engaging, and he writes for an audience without prior knowledge of the material. New administrators will get as much value from his guidance as those who have decades of experience.

Third, increase your knowledge one aspect at a time. Take it slowly. Immediate competency in all aspects of the OS is just not possible. Eventually, if you decide to stick with it, you will come to enjoy the simplicity and ease of administration of the OS. But for new users it can be perceived as complex, and when you don't have a BSD background, it can feel overwhelming.

Fourth, be careful of unofficial howto documents and other guidance you can find online. It is often out-of-date, only applicable to a specific use case, written by a newbie, or a combination of all three. Keep that in mind if you refer to them at all, and don't ever blindly type in a command you find online -- understand what each option/operand does. Please note that I include this site in that list of unofficial sources. Use guidance you find here the same way. The vast majority of us are just users.

Fifth, it appears you have successfully installed the OS, and for many, that first installation can be intimidating. So, allow me to offer my congratulations to you!

Sixth, we can help with your networking issue, but we need more information on the connection failure. None of us are looking over your shoulder and we can't see your commands you type nor the responses you receive. See http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596 for guidance on idealized problem reporting.