View Single Post
Old 29th February 2016
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Creation was declined then because the amount of traffic specific to DragonFly was essentially zero. From what I see by searching the archives today, most mentions of DragonFly closely stem from comments such as "I can't seem to get support for device xyz in ijk BSD, so maybe I will try DragonFly..."

It does not appear that the data leading to the earlier decision has markedly changed.

I know that proponents for creating a new forum will go all Field of Dreams on us stating that (new) traffic will spontaneously appear once such a forum is created. However, the data does not particularly support this claim.

To date, the Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like forum has long been set up as a breeding ground for emerging members of the *BSD family. When we see sufficient traffic warranting separation, we will create a new forum.
Its mention has markedly increased in the regular FreeBSD forums, usually alongside discussions of the HAMMER filesystem(s) vs ZFS vs UFS2 vs UFS that either were the topic of the thread or crept into the discussion. Indeed, HAMMER(2) was the reason I installed DragonflyBSD as I am not yet expert in Zfs, despite numerous threads
and howtos saved as .htm files, and have not the time to begin...

As such, a seperate DragonflyBSD subsection may lead to advances in Zfs and/or ufs2
and/or hammer(2) as more people (experts vs persons such as I) join in discussions
more readily than mailing lists. And any such advances could be ported from one
BSD to another.

Just a guess. Not much time here to post or install or... , so am sort of ambivalent.