View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default NetBIOS name resolution from FreeBSD?

So, I'm banging my head against this and the answer may be simple, but I'm not stumbling into it.

I have a FreeBSD 6.3 box that does some monitoring, arpwatch, ntop, etc. at work.

I'd like this box to be able to resolve NetBIOS names - we have a number of thin clients and other devices that do not register with DNS. From a Windows machine with NetBIOS over TCP/IP enable I'm able to ping these things by name. I want to be able to do the same with the FreeBSD box.

I assume I need nmbd for this. So I installed samba. I'm running nmbd by itself right now, as I don't need any file shares or anything. I let it run overnight, in fact. And still, I can't ping any nodes by NetBIOS name.

Here's what I believe is the relevant section of smb.conf:

Code:
# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
   wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = no

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The default is NO.
   dns proxy = no
Now, I do have WINS in the environment. So I tried pointing the WINS server setting to a Windows DC running WINS. Then I waited 20 minutes... and still nothing. No pinging of NetBIOS names.

I CAN, however, ping the FreeBSD box by name from Windows clients! But... that's not what I need, unfortunately.

So, what am I missing? Am I incorrect in my understanding of Windows networking? Does nmbd not provide the functionality I'm looking for? Am I likely just missing a simple configuration piece?

(By the way, if this should have gone into ports and packages, please move, and I apologize.)