Thread: Funny stuff
View Single Post
Old 11th March 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolino View Post
Nirbo, it may mean, "it's more complex than my application should require, compared to other options." E.g., in Windows, you only need to enter the pop3 and smtp server, user name and password, and you can send and receive e-mail; in OpenBSD, however, you need to configure your local sendmail server, install fetchmail from ports and configure that, to be able to send and receive e-mail. (OK, it doesn't have to be exactly like that, but it will suffice for this example.) One could argue that, "you have to know too much" compared to Windows.
I hate to interrupt this "interesting" discussions but you have to get your facts straight.

Sendmail (OpenSMTPd soon instead) is configured on OpenBSD. You do not need to do anything. Just type

mail e-mail@address.of.your.friend

and you will be able to send the e-mail. The problem is that such an e-mail will be usually bounced because you do not have fixed IP address, reverse DNS and the proper MX record.

It is not true that you can send an e-mail on Windows machine without configuring smtp. You have to specify forwarding smtp server of your Internet service provider or third party (Gmail, Hotmail). Well guess what
configuring Thunderbird on Windows machine is exactly the same as configuring Thunderbird on OpenBSD.

Last time I checked Thunderbird can fetch emails from both POP and IMAP accounts. You have to configure them on Windows, OpenBSD, or any other
platform. The same goes for all other e-mail client. If you do not want to configure anything you have to use web-interface to check your e-mail.

Cheers,
OKO

Last edited by J65nko; 11th March 2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: changed '/quote]' into '[/quote]'