View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

As I said, I was bitter when I wrote it. I felt so much better after venting that I take it back.
@ephemera, the CentOS people go to a great deal of trouble to keep it stable and working. (It's what I use at work, so I've developed an affection for it. *I* can put it down, but have to protect it in public.)

Seriously, a simple example. I wrote a howto on using VServer (similar to jails) in CentOS. However, it requires a modified kernel. This led to discussion on the CentOS doc list, because they are concerned about stability for their users.

Also, despite my earlier comments, the CentOS people are very conscientious about docs, more so than their upstream provider. I know you're not trying to start a war of course, but CentOS does stand out, in my mind, as one of the better ones.

Their wiki is starting to become one of my first points of reference these days--Max Hetrick's article on Nagios, Ned Slider's on various aspects of postfix both come to mind as useful for all admins.

I'm not just saying this because my KVM article is up there.

I could give a long list of things I don't like about it, of course, but in general, I'd have to say there is more concern about keeping a stable OS than there is with say, MS. You can also make minimal installations without too much trouble.

In fairness, I don't see the developer=DEITY and user=PEON in too many Linux communities. A certain amount of respect of course--the same that we give our developers in the *BSD community. If I write someone and say, you stupid person, how could you have done something so ignorant, then I suppose he or she would probably treat me poorly.
BTW, there's an RH bug report right now from Linus himself, having to do with trying to watch youtube videos (but not using flash).
In the course of a thread about it on Fedora forums, I finally, after all these years, was rickrolled. :-(

For those unfamiliar with the term, go to wikipedia.org and search rickrolled. (Note I put no urls in here, for those familiar with the term won't trust them.)