View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Actually they are not that bad to work on (experience required), i have taken apart and replaced parts on quite a few, (not just ram, hdd) i have worked on MUCH worse ...
True. Last week I had a HP Compaq laptop which I had to disassemble completely in order to blow dust out of the CPU fan (Screen, mainboard, *everything*).
6 different screw sizes, not tagged.

It made the Carpetsmoker cry

I meant that compared to normal PC's (desktops) they are more difficult/expensive to repair. With a "normal" PC you can just buy random ATX PSU, mainboard, etc. and anyone with the ability to hold a screwdriver and more than half a brain can replace the part ...

Quote:
I must say, replacing a mainboard on an IBM/Lenovo on a monday morning will cause you greif, they have about 2 extra layers of stuff to screw down, but i am glad they do. Even there monitors have twice as many screws in them.
To be honest, I never disassembled a thinkpad We only recently started to sell them (We only sold a handful in the last few years), and I never had a reason to disassemble any that I owned (Which is a good sign).