View Single Post
Old 12th March 2011
Arp Constable

Quote:
Linux
- I do not even consider that mess as a solution, maybe Ubuntu to not watch under the hood and scream
Quote:
* Ubuntu -> Because I'm to tired to abuse shit into working all the time, and even if the stupid S.O.B. was brain damaged, it'll probably both work and have a package that works with some version of Ubuntu. The downside is so many packages are basically from Debian!
Quote:
I do not have a problem with GNU tools, I was mostly thinking about the Linux kernel, devices, /proc, /sys /whatever, HAL/udev, ALSA+PulseShit tandem, a lot more propably.
It has not been pointed out but there are over 100 different Linux based distrobutions and they vary significantly as far as complexity. You can achieve a very simple almost OpenBSD like system with Slackware by doing a minimal install and then stripping the kernel of everything you don't need. You even get the option to do an "expert" install where you can select just the xorg input devices and video drivers that you need. It requires about 5 to 6 more hours to achieve a system similiar to the core OpenBSD install. The one thing that may be missing is PF and I'm not familiar enough to guess if similiar functionality can be achieve with IPtables. If you have hardware that is not supported by OpenBSD it may be an option