Thread: The Ramble
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamba View Post
I to have a rant about MS Office 2007

At our office I've been running a samba server for like ever, it was one of the first things I've implemented when I started working there. A few weeks ago one of the users told me that for some reason he can't safe his word documents so I had a look at his home dir and all his docs were read only, I though ok this is weird and maybe he did something to them so I fixed it all for him, a few days later he tells me the problem is back. Then this week I needed to use excel for something so I went to one of the computers with MS Office installed and started doing my work, then the same thing happened to me too.
I think it's an issue with Office, period, not just Office 2007. We use Samba servers at all the schools. One school, using Office XP and Office 2003, will sometimes run into "file is read-only, save under a different name" errors when they open/save documents. Watching the filesystem, Office creates hidden temp files when you ask it to save, then renames them to the destination name. But every now and then, the temp file is created read-only, and even though the real file is read-write, they can't save the file as the temp file is not deletable. (Or something along those lines, I haven't looked into it a few months.)

Very aggravating, only happens at one site, and even though the permissions are correct on the Samba server, the permissions in Windows Explorer are read-only.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.