View Single Post
Old 29th December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

The first MHDD results look fine. The second do not. For a new drive <150ms results are normal, <500ms are hmmish, and >500ms are definitely not OK.

The reason you don't see any UNC errors is because the bad sectors are already reallocated.
Now you also see why I recommended MHDD specifically, AFAIK MHDD is only one of two programs which display the time it takes to access sectors (The other being an internal test utility we have at work that someone once wrote).

The kernel panic could be a FreeBSD bug or some random glitch, but in combination with all the previous data I have little doubt that the "new" hard drive is broken.

This is not uncommon by the way, the drive you received probably isn't new but a refurbished (repaired) drive, IIRC you can actually see that on the Seagate label (Or at least the mfgr. date). There is a good reason why I test RMA drives

Quote:
The thing is, I don't really care about the number of reallocated sectors and whatnot
You should A reallocated means the data on that sector is lost. This could be anythiing from a random file in /tmp to /boot/kernel
Also, it's my experience that once you have 1 reallocated sector, others start showing up soon (Not always, but often).

As a sidenote, there's smartmontools in ports to monitor SMART data and send emails or something after something happens. Very useful for servers and stuff to monitor and preventing problems/unplanned downtime (As we say in Dutch "voorkomen is beter dan genezen", meaning: Preventing is better than curing ).

Anyway, any computer store worth it's money will replace this drive, even if the official tool says the drive is OK. If they give you problems you can also return the drive yourself on the Seagate website, this does take about a week though while the store may replace it immediately.