View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutosun View Post
I really looked but as it seems obvious I didn't do it correctly
Thank you very much for your help. I will try this apps.
About Mac OS X... I really am NOT impressed... it is.. cute... and that is all... I miss the ports of FBSD or gentoo or something like apt... I feel like in a mix of Linux/BSD/Windows OS...

Regards
It seems like you haven't done any research, but just taken a leap to asking questions.

1. Preview is a very good all-in-one viewer that's included in OS X. It is the default. It is the one I use.
2. Finder has very good image viewing capabilities. Preview can be used as well. Gwenview and Preview are about feature equivalent.
3. Macports is available for OS X. This definitely couldn't have been difficult to find. You will find all of the KDE applications, Gnome applications, and other open source applications you are used to as ports in it. It's very easy to setup and use. Where native binaries are available, it pulls and installs the DMG. This is what I use because I, like you, like BSD Ports because they make management so easy. Your other options are Fink and pkgsrc. Fink isn't very quickly updated, but it's pretty much APT for OS X. pkgsrc will require a lot of work. I tried migrating over three or four months ago, but too many applications will not build cleanly on OS X for one reason or another, through it. So, I don't recommend it. MacPorts is the easiest option.
4. OS X is a BSD operating system. It doesn't feel any different than my FreeBSD+Xfce+Compiz-Fusion install on my desktop.