View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th February 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
Changed the sda2 file type from cfdisk and did a mkfs.ext3, didn't fix it.
That's too bad but was worth a quick try I guess. I still think the problem might be from the next point though:
Quote:
Also I do have the swap inside an extended partition, but I never had issues because of that (I have been doing it before and neither gparted nor the partitioner inside ubuntu's installer had complained about that before.
Yes, I also have my Linux swap inside an extended partion. However, what I have there is a logical sub-partition inside the extended partition. This would be a partition numbered 5 or higher by Linux (say, sdaN where N >= 5). But what your fdisk output shows is a primary partition (sda4, note: 4<5) rather than a logical sub-partition of the extended partition. Your sda4 occupies an area inside the region bounded by the extended partition. This overlap seems odd enough to me that it *might* cause a partition editor to be confused.

Quote:
About the contents of sda5. I finally got myself a HDD case and a 3.5" 80GB HD I had lying around from a long dead desktop PC and made myself an external HD, so my data is now in the external. Basically what I want to do is to do a dualboot (the external is for storage only, since this PC doesn't seem able to boot off USB) between NetBSD and Ubuntu, but installing netbsd first so that I can use grub as the bootloader instead of the NetBSD one.
Perhaps with your Linux data backed up you can try J65nko's suggestion to remove the extended partion, then create either a new primary or a new extended partition with a single logical sub-partition occupying all its space (and not overlapping your swap area), and restore your Linux data on there. Maybe you could even use this as /usr or /home with / (root) on the ext3 sda2 you made? (Once the overlap problem is gone, assuming that's the problem.)

Last edited by IdOp; 28th February 2009 at 11:28 PM.