View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2011
More noise than signal

Hello and welcome. Thank you for describing your problem so clearly, and including your dmesg and what you could capture with your camera.

If I've interpreted it all properly, when you boot the ramdisk kernel (the one used to install the OS), you must always disable ACPI otherwise you often get an invalid opcode fault. When you boot the full kernel (after installation, booting the hard drive) you often get a protection fault trap.

Unfortunately, the kernel stack traces on screen aren't helpful to me; at the least they require a diagnostic build of the matching -release kernel to map addresses to kernel source code components. And while I could build one, I would not necessarily interpret the resulting analysis correctly.

I should ask -- the next time you successfully get the OS running -- check to see if you have any files stored in /var/crash; this directory will store information from a panic on restart, if possible.

I am going to make a set of recommendations for you:

1) Try an i386-current snapshot. The -current environment is already a couple of months of development beyond 5.0-release, which is expected November 1. 4.9-release was built in February, so it is possible whatever this is has been fixed between then and now. See your nearest mirror, typically in /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/.

2) Try an amd64 version -- it's the same OS, just a different architecture, and if I read your dmesg correctly, your processor is 64-bit capable. You may get different results. Look in /pub/OpenBSD/4.9/amd64/ and /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/

3) Post a detailed report to the misc@ mailing list. About half of the developers follow it, as well as many technically astute users. You are likely to get some good advice if you approach the list requesting recommendations for assistance. Be sure to post your dmesg in-line with your message (misc@ does not accept attachments), and you may provide a direct link to your .zip you've attached here, as long as you let the list know the link points to photos of the console.

Posts to misc@ (and to all the other mailing lists) need to be plain text, and wrap at around 72 columns. See http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html for further information on posting to the lists.