View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
I don't have a boot.conf file.
The default for architectures that have a boot> prompt is to wait 5 seconds for any keyboard input. If there is no keyboard input, the bootloader will then attempt to load the /bsd kernel from the the "a" partition.
Quote:
When it restarts the screen goes black like it has crashed. I will try rebooting again and watch it carefully to see if any messages show up.
Depending on the hardware, the dmesg(8) buffer may not be cleared on reboot. A failure message, if recorded in the buffer, might appear in the buffer after successfully booting /bsd.sp.
Quote:
When I get it to boot from bsd.sp a warning I always see is / was not unmounted properly.
That will occur whenever the previous mount of the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted.
Quote:
How do I determine the available space for user share?
The directory is /usr/share/. Usually, this will be a directory within the /usr/ filesystem. The df(1) command will show the current capacities of all mounted filesystems. $ df -h will show the space in easy-to-understand KB/MB/GB/TB format.
Quote:
What should I delete from there to free up space?
If this is actually the problem, you can delete the contents of /usr/share/compile/.
Quote:

Something else I noticed is there is no bsd.mp file. So perhaps it is trying to load it and it crashes because it isn't there?
No, during installation on a multi-CPU system, the installer saves the GENERIC kernel as "bsd.sp", and the GENERIC.MP kernel as "bsd" so your root directory would not contain a /bsd.mp file.
Quote:
Also I am wondering if I should copy the obsd file over the bsd file. Perhaps the bsd file was corrupted.
You can just select it by name at the boot> prompt to test it, and if that solves your immediate problem, you can then copy it.